Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Love 22

Today I'm loving what God has been teaching me lately.

As I have been going through Beth Moore's newest study about James, I have been learning a lot. I'm thankful for seasons in my life where God is constantly teaching me something new. This morning during my quiet time, God really spoke to me about being a better listener. 

So many times in my life I am slow to listen to what someone is telling me. I'm not sure why, but it something that I struggle with. Not only do I struggle with listening to those around me, but I struggle with listening for what God wants to teach me. Do you ever catch yourself pretending to listen when really you're thinking about something else? 

James warns us of this very thing...
"Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. 20 Human anger[a] does not produce the righteousness[b] God desires. 21 So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls." James 1:19-21

See? We should always be quick to listen and slow to speak (or in my case, slow to think about other things). When I'm not listening, I am not learning. Isn't that a scary thing? Everyday I want to please the Lord in all that I do, and that includes learning all that I can. Part of being your best is constantly learning something new. 

I challenge you to take more time to listen. I know that it is something I am working on constantly. I feel like I can always go back to my word for 2012...
Devotion
By being a more intentional listener, I am able to be more devoted to the things God has given me...my job, my husband, my family and friends. We are called to devote ourselves to the Lord, and that includes being a good listener! 

Thank you for following me through my month of loves! I am LOVING every second of it, and I am thankful for the time God has given me to reflect on everything I'm blessed with. Just a few more days of February...who can believe it?

Have a great day, friends!


1 comment:

Nicole said...

Love this!! I have been learning a lot through James too!! I miss you sweet girl... let's talk soon please!!