Here are some things I don't want to forget about this first week...
-My husband is the best and sweetest dad. He has not ever really been around babies but he caught on right away. He is the official diaper changer and does the best job. The first time he changed his diaper he peed on Josh. That's something we will always remember! We quickly learned to cover that little area up when we change his diaper. He loves on our little man like crazy and gives him kisses all the time. I fell in love with him all over again when I saw him holding our precious boy for the first time.
-Ben Curtis is a great baby! He eats well and sleeps hard! He loves his paci so much. The first night home he slept for about 2-3 hours at a time and then would wake up to eat. He keeps to that schedule for the most part day and night. He sleeps in the cradle that I slept in as a baby. We have it right next to our bed so I can be close to him. I love the little sounds he makes when he's asleep. I love looking down on him when he's eating. He sneezes a lot and gets the hiccups about 2-3 times a day. I think he eats too fast like his daddy. I think my favorite thing is when he's asleep in my arms and smiles. It just warms my heart.
-My mom came back to the hospital the day we we were coming home. She helped us pack up our things, get him in the car, and then she followed us home. I was so thankful to have her with us as we left all the comfort and security we had grown used to over the past couple of days. She picked up lunch for us and we had a picnic on our bedroom floor when we got home. Mom helped us settle in and unpack. She helped me give Ben Curtis a sponge bath for the first time. She sat with us until after dinner time. When it was time for her to leave I felt like I did the day I went to college for the first time. I was so homesick and scared of what was to come. Thankfully my sweet husband sat with me while I cried and told me we were going to be fine. We were. Ben Curtis slept great that night, and by the morning I felt so much better. We had gotten through our first night with just the three of us and life was good!
-Josh's brother, Zack, was here from Norway for a couple weeks. It was so wonderful to have him home during this big transition. He was such a huge help! We were sad to see him go home.
-We took Ben Curtis to the doctor for his first visit a couple days after being home. Everyone was so sweet to us! BC weighed 7lbs 2oz right before leaving the hospital, and he weighed 7lbs 5oz at his appointment. It was encouraging to see he was gaining weight. Ms. Jennifer said he was the perfect baby. The only thing she was concerned about was his jaundice. We were both a little nervous when she had us go back to the hospital to have his billiruben levels checked, but she ensured us it was just to be cautious. His levels were a little high but not high enough to be really worried. She told us to just make sure he keeps eating well and also told us to lay him in indirect sunlight throughout the day. One thing I will always remember is that we couldn't figure out how to fold up the stroller. We tried for a minute and then just decided to throw it in the back opened up. It was hilarious and definitely a first time parent thing to do. When we got home, we quickly saw the strap that said "pull to close". Hahaha! Oh the memories!



2 comments:
You are just the SWEETEST friend and I love this so much. I know you’re a precious Mama! I can’t wait to get advice from you one day!
LOVE reading this post and had no idea you felt like that when I left but SO remember it when mama left us with you. SO thankful mothering has come so natural for you! I knew it would!!! BC is the sweetest and SO thankful he is doing so well!! I love you with all my heart and can't wait to see you in a little while! XOXOXO
Post a Comment